Sep 11, 2013

Moving and settling into a new house and beginning language lessons

-->
I moved into my new house on Saturday, August 17, Indonesia’s Independence Day.  So the last two weeks of August I focused on settling into a new house.  Since I moved here with only a few suitcases, I had very few things.  The house comes with some basic furniture (including three mattresses) and a beautiful teak dining table.   There is enough for my needs.  A CIFOR colleague was moving away from Bogor and selling a lot of her stuff.  Thanks to here and to the advice of another friend, I bought most of my kitchen stuff from her, including a juicer for all the lovely fruit  here!  Beyond that the next few weeks involved the adventures and misadventures of settling in.  I don’t know if it is okay to name names here of all the colleagues, friends, and random people who helped me with the above and dozens of other things.  They fed me, had me over for yoga sessions, took me to parties and shopping, brought bottles of wine (no small thing given that wine here is sooooooo expensive), set up emergency internet and then permanent internet, dealt with inexplicable loss of electricity (just n my house not neighborhood), ith made dripping water dispensers work, helped deal with dead fish in the pond in the back yard, helped commicate with the old retainer associated with the house (he does not speak any English and my language skills were rudimentary though they are improving), find domestic help, give me rides to and from work.  The list goes on and on and on, and I was accompanied at each step (even by Robert who was hearing about all this by skype, including hearing about my first sighting of a civet cat, which is not a cat), and never felt alone! 

I am slowly establishing new routines.  But in addition to missing Robert and the animals, I really miss the Mill River, our neighborhood, and especially the Y and my yoga classes. I’ve had no luck finding an Iyengar yoga teacher in Bogor, and I’m not yet up to the ordeal of facing the macet (traffic jams) of Jakarta for classes.  So I invoke my wonderful teach Suzie Goldstein of the Rivervalleyyoga studio in Florence (www.rivervalleyyoga.com) as I focus on my home practice. 

Another kind of home practice involves settling new routines for cooking and eating.  The CIFOR cafetaria is great and convenient though the food is mixed.  They always have Indonesian dishes and other cuisines (wednesday is Indian food).  They also have local vendors sell all kinds of things periodically (bread organic rice and veggies, tofu, etc).  Though CIFOR had an orientation session, none of these most important things were covered there – things that are basic to living!  A few weeks ago, I hired a part time pembantu to help with the cooking, etc.  Like many who claim to have a social consciousness and/or come from or have lived in the west, hiring domestic help is a complicated issue.  It remains complicated for me.  But it is equally complicated to face work, home and in a new place, in a new language, with all kinds of logistical and cultural challenges.  I soon realized that I need an Ibu (literally mother though the term is used as a prefix to the names of all older women as a mark of respect.  I am certainly Ibu Kiran – no mistaking middle age here!).  Once again, the help of friends and particularly my friend Iir was invaluable.  There is also a gardener and general factotum, Pak Hasim (Pak, pronounced Pa, is the short form of Bapak and is the term used as a prefix to the names of all older men as a mark of respect) who has been associated for  40 decades with the house I rented.  Whether I like it or not, he turns up at the house and hiring him was inevitable.  That’s another story, which I am sure I will tell you when we talk in person! 

No comments:

Post a Comment