Sep 13, 2013

Learning Bahasa Indonesia,Yogyakarta, and T-shit Shop!

-->
I started learning Bahasa Indonesia a few weeks after I got to Indonesia.   The language is grammatically simple but culturally very complex and nuanced.   Irr, my teacher is fantastic and we have had some great conversations about semiotics and different cultural logics.  This is the first time that I am learning a language formally with a teacher, and while surrounded by people speaking another language I know.  The latter makes my progress slow.  So after three weeks of lessons with Iir, I decided to go to Yogyakarta for intensive language training at one of the many language schools in this city. 

I arrived in Yogyakarta on a Sunday, and it was immediately evident that this is a smaller and less crazy city than Bogor, and certainly less so than Jakarta.  It is also full of a lot of tourists.  One of the brochures said that it is the second largest tourist destination after Bali.  I bumped into a lot of them at Jalan Malioboro, a long street full of shops selling batik (mostly batik prints) and handicrafts. Many of my friends and recommended one of the largest of these shops. Mirota Batik is a multi-storey shop which sells beatiful stuff and a lot of junky things.  It is a place where tourists and locals shop.  I got a lot of basic things for my house, and had them shipped to Bogor.  And since I hadn’t yet taken a lot of language classes, that took a bit of figuring out.  As usual, people here were amazingly nice. 

Then back to my hotel (Yogya Plaza hotel), where the food is mediocre but the gym superb!  Outside the hotel is a sign that says “No pets, no durians!”  I’ll try to put up the photo I took of the sign.  Those of you who know durians will know why there is such a sign.  Those of you who don’t durians, suffice it to say that the smell is intense!  The hotel was my home base for the next 6 days while I took classes at Alam Bahasa.   I took 4-6 hours of classes a day and learnt a lot.  I think I could have learnt a lot more had the classes been more intense, and had I done more home work in the evenings!  Still I learned a lot and enjoyed the “Direct Communicative” method of teaching (speaking only in the language that one is learning), which involved excursions to the local fruit stall and a visit to a street with incredible batik shops.  At one of the shops, Batik Winotosastro (http://www.winotosastro.com/batik/), I saw the craftspeople involved in the incredible labor of making batik.  Needless to say, any of the pieces I liked were between $200-500/-   I was glad to have had witnessed the beauty and am okay with not possessing them.

On Thursday, I went on the Prambanan temple on the outskirts of Jakarta.  It was really quite spectacular and I also saw an incredibly beautiful cat there.  Will try to upload pictures of both! Back at the school, there was a community lunch of excellent Indonesian food!  While Indonesian food is famed to be good, I haven’t had much luck with finding good food even when it is expensive.  For instance, a few days before I went out with a colleague from Bogor to Kedai Tiga Nyonya, supposedly one of the best restaurants in the country.  The food was alright but not so much that I want to go back.  Most of the food here is way too oily for my taste. 



What has been feeding me well is a tiny restaurant called Loving Hut on a street adjacent to the hotel. It’s been a really and unexpected blessing.  Their menu is varied enough and everything is vegan so that makes eating easy.  I even got to eat a vegetarian baxso and some very spicy (pedas) fried rice (which I could not finish).  This evening I walked to Jalan Solo to check out some more batik clothing stores.  Most of the them were closed by the time I was walking along the street.  But my long walk rewarded me with many interesting sights.  Two of them I will remember for a long .  One was more of a sound than a sight – mynahs getting ready to roost at dusk in a large palm tree in front of a huge mall (yep, here too)!  It so reminded me of India home.  The other was a shop called “T-shit shop”!  Need I say more?

I’m looking forward to returning home to Bogor tomorrow.  Before that I hope to to go Kota Gede (Old City) famed for its silversmiths. 


No comments:

Post a Comment